Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

vysocan
Administrator
OK, let me know then if you have some progress later on.

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

J.sim

Adam,

I have had some more time finally. I found that if I configured as per discussed the essentials to make it go. I had a group, 2 zones, 1 key, and the mqtt server programmed in. it worked perfect, I then switched on the mqtt updates for the groups and got the all the pending, armed, trigger and disarmed signals as I should.

I then added my contact, set it as group one which I had configured, not global, and set up the email server settings, - username and password for smtp2go, and turned on email notifications.

This time when I tried arming I got the usual mqtt message of pending, and then nothing more and the web UI became unresponsive as well. The group went into alarm, ( I have no siren connected atm but the buzzer on the authentication tells the story) and disarmed again as it should. However the mqtt updates stopped and there was no email either. Smtp2go dashboard shows no emails sent.

I will try to unconfigure the email settings again tonight and see if operates properly with sms messages.

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

vysocan
Administrator
Hello Jason,

that is great news, so there seems to be some bug hidden under certain setting in alerts handling. Which may damage the Ethernet driver I guess. This is the way we can hunt it down and fix it.

To say so, I have put some effort into revising the SMS function for newer SIM800C you have, as I knew there is some mishandling of SMS sending. To be precise, SMS is sent, but confirmation is not correctly recognized. I have also fixed some code in alert thread. I have here for test GW with SIM800C and I will do test it on my side as well. Or if you want to test it as well. Here is pre-release  1.7.6.1 main_board.hex

Adam

Administrator
Oh well, just took SIM card from my home GW and put it into my test GW with SIM800, and sure enough the SMS sending does behave different.

Ok. I haven’t tested the sms yet. I only have had issues with the email notifications far. I haven’t done any real testing with the sms at all really. If I manage to deconfigure the email settings tonight I will test the sms functions then.

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

vysocan
Administrator
I've done some testing, and there seems to be problem with email alerts. When email runs it damages alert thread stack. Or at least that is what I noticed, strange really.   But still not dropping the whole web interface.

I would suggest turning all email alerts off for now.

Ok, I haven’t had time to go back and do some more testing. However I did notice that once I had triggered an alert for emails that it stopped all mqtt updates as well?? Seems as though my one is getting the whole ip interface getting knocked out… but then again I can still ping it but I suppose that my be just the chip allowing that ping to reply correctly…..

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

vysocan
Administrator
Yes, ping is independent by hardware W5500.

Funny enough, I was personally using emails for only some alerts, and it was working for me for months. Until you found out I had no problems. So I do not know when it became unstable.

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

J.sim

This is weird.. I have just gone back there and restarted it, it was sitting on 10.1.10.100 and could ping it. Now after the restart – nothing….

I have pluged in the ftdi adapter and opened a terminal on it like is suggested on the gateway setup page and all I get is “AT”

Any suggestions now…?

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

vysocan
Administrator
It shows DHCP info only during first start before you save your static IP address. AT means it tries to initialize GSM which is normally connected to same port. When you plug in programmer, it switches the port to programmer.

Just power it off.

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

J.Sim
i have just updated the gateway to your prerelease. but i cant find it on the network still. i am wondering if stuffed entering the ip address on the config page. is there some way i can default the eeprom with the ftdi adapter??

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

vysocan
Administrator
Flash some older release from my firmware list, some 1.7.5.x version. This will enable DHCP.
- Then you open the web interface press Save All. Your EEPROM setting will be erased/overwritten with defaults.
- After you can flash new version. Again you will have DHCP until you press Save All.

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

J.sim
Sorry, one big idiot here. I had made a stuff up and entered the last number of the ip address as .5 not .15 which is the same as my mqtt server..... I was mucking around with the system in shop and set the static during that time but never did a reset/restart during that time to change to it. Then when I finally did after the email alert issue it went offline permanently due to the conflict and of course I couldn't 'find' it...

So after involved session with wireshark etc I finally figured out my stuff up. 😥

Now with that sorted I have found that the debug is nicely showing alerts info ( I managed to flash your prerelease). Run out of time now for tonight so I will come back to it and let you know what I find.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

vysocan
Administrator
Aha, you have used same IP address for GW as for your MQTT server. I started to worry, really. Hard lesson learn. Good that you solve it!

But still email alerts have some bug in it. Probably not directly GW code, as the stack of thread gets damaged.

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

J.sim

So I have been testing and I can get an alert for undefined to trigger with no issues when it is triggering the sms and page. So far I haven’t had a page or sms but I have to sort out my sim card is in credit first – little technical hitch to sort out with Vodafone.

Debug below. Now I will try a email alert coming soon.

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

J.sim

Yep. Sure enough as soon as I configure the gateway to send an email  - in this case I only have undefined key set as an alert at all and it is to email. I badge an undefined key and bingo web interface is unresponsive.

Now I have deconfigured as many settings as possible to default. No groups, no zones, no keys, one authentication node only, fixed ip, mqtt server, and email user and password set. I then set the email notification for undefined key on only and badged a key. Again web interface became unresponsive and I could restart and clear that setting because I hadn’t hit save all only apply. So of course I have no debug output……..

How do we analyse this issue further??? I also see a lot unused stack messages coming up all the time??

Also maybe my username and password are an issue?? The password is 10 characters and the email address 16 if that makes any difference. I also tried a different email address under the contact as I was trying to use the same one that is the smtp log in.

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

vysocan
Administrator
Jason,

do you have account at smtp2go? Email user has max. length of 29 chars and password 10 char.

As I told you there is really some bug in email alerts, best is to not use them for now.

Why would you not like to hit "Save all" if you have your network setting OK?

Administrator
Also you can scroll the log and look, error in SMTP communication ashould be visible in log. But of course hard restart makes the log pointer pin to some older entries.

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

J.sim
So if I clear the log I can make sure there is minimal other messages in there when I do it?

Also I had all the other settings saved with a save all but I just turned the email notification on with an apply only.

I was just following through on this issue a bit because I seemed to be getting different results to you. Maybe I have a different dns set up or something? I will try to check for an error message and get back to you.

I also need to sort the credit on my sim card as it often seems to log an unknown network message. Not sure what's going o  yet. I doesn't actually ring me or send an sms message yet.

RE: Gateway webinterface becoming unresponive

vysocan
Administrator
You can clear the log, but not needed, it takes some time like 20-30s.

Also check that you have no pin set on simcard. Also FTDI programmer must not be plugged in.
123